With my skirts basically finished, it was time to start work on the bodice. I specifically planned to make it before pleating up my trim for the skirts, since trim can be pieced together and fudged a bit, whereas the bodice needed to be perfect (and stripe-matched). Anyway, I used Truly Victorian 466, the Alexandra Bodice, and I admit that at first glance it looked pretty daunting. So many pieces! Obviously, I started with a mockup.
My first try wasn’t awful, but it needed some work:
The sleeves were too far off the shoulder and I think the back of the bodice was just a touch too long, which made the whole back wrinkle oddly. I took some width out of the shoulders, and shortened the bodice at the shoulder seam because it was loose in the upper chest and back. Plus, once I had all of my skirts on the added bulk at the front required some extra room over the tummy, which I achieved by adding a little extra flare to the bottom of the side pieces. Oh, and the sleeves were far too loose for my arms, so I took out a whole inch of width all the way down the back seam, and shaved off some of the curve at the elbow because it pooched weirdly when my arms were straight. So basically I changed everything. 😉
For example, here’s the drastically modified shoulder line for the front, which is a full two sizes shorter at the shoulder seam (I originally cut it as a size E) and completely cuts off the extra width at the top of the armscye:
After going through a lot of tweaking, I traced out my new pattern pieces and tried a second mockup:
Much better. Still sits a bit oddly when I’m contorting myself to take a selfie of my own back, but trust me, it’s a lot better. Next up, trying to match the stripes while constructing my bodice!