My daughter has recently been bubbling over with enthusiasm over s’mores– that sticky-sweet concoction of chocolate, graham crackers, and toasted marshmallows, sacred to campfires everywhere. Personally, I find them too sweet, and prefer plain toasted marshmallows without the extraneous crackers and chocolate to get in the way– but I’ve never been one to pass up a challenge when I see one!
We decided to adapt the s’mores to the warm summer weather by turning them into a frozen dessert! We mixed pre-toasted marshmallows into a no-churn ice cream base and added a ribbon of dark chocolate ganache, then layered it between sheets of graham crackers to make cold and creamy, sweet and sticky treats that (admittedly) melt in your hands but are worth it!
These come together quickly and slice up neatly– the graham crackers soften nicely in the freezer while the ice cream firms up– but this kind of ice cream does tend to melt fast, so eat them right away!
Frozen S’mores (makes 12)
7 oz (by weight) sweetened condensed milk (use half of a 14-oz can)
1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
5 oz. marshmallows (regular size or mini)
1 tsp. vanilla
4 oz. semisweet chocolate chips
12 graham cracker sheets
- Pour 1/2 cup cream over chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 1 minute. Stir until it forms a smooth ganache, and set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Set marshmallows in a single layer on a foil-lined baking sheet and broil until they turn dark brown (you need this for flavor). Let cool to room temperature. Note: this photo shows them all clustered together but in retrospect I should’ve set them further apart to allow the sides to brown as well. Alternatively, you could use a kitchen torch for maximum toastiness.
- Line a 9×9″ square baking pan with foil, parchment, or plastic wrap.
- Cover the bottom of the pan with graham crackers and set aside. Note: Due to the specific measurements of my crackers, I arranged them in a 3×4 array of squares (breaking the sheets in half), but I had to shave the edges of the 4th row to get them to fit. You may end up doing it differently– just make sure the bottom is completely covered, and make sure you keep track of how your crackers are oriented so your slices align with the spaces between them.
- In a large bowl, combine sweetened condensed milk with the toasted marshmallows, breaking up the toasty bits so they’re fully incorporated.
- Using a mixer, whip remaining 1 cup of cream cream with salt and vanilla to soft peaks.
- Gently fold half of the whipped cream into the marshmallow mixture to loosen, then fold in the other half.
- Spread cream mixture over the top of your graham-cracker-lined pan. Add dollops of cooled ganache generously over the top and gently swirl with a knife.
- Add another layer of graham crackers over the top and press down to flatten slightly. Cover and freeze until firm.
- When ready to serve, lift out the entire block and transfer to a cutting board. Using a sharp knife, cut along the lines of the graham crackers. If not consuming immediately, wrap individually and keep in the freezer.