As I mentioned earlier, the inspiration for this suit came from these dragonfly hair clips, which I found on eBay. I think they look pretty awesome as-is, but one thing I wanted to change was the transparency of the wings– with the exception of some printed veins they’re completely clear, making them almost invisible from most angles.
I decided to get some iridescent paint to add just a bit more dimension to the wings. I used two thin layers of diluted shimmery white paint– Art Deco Dazzling Metallics White Pearl— to make them slightly more opaque. The paint got a little streaky, to my dismay, but I really didn’t have the time or the inclination to figure out how to fix it, so I left them as-is. I’m going to clip one to my suit lapel and create thread loops to clip the other to my chest.
Also adding to the overall look of the outfit were these two frog pins, which I found on eBay for next to nothing. It pays to source things like costume jewelry ahead of time, since getting it from China will save you a ton of money vs. buying it from a U.S. reseller, even if it does take longer to arrive.
Finally, I topped things off with a set of pearls and white gloves, for that picture-perfect tea party look.