I love rice krispie treats. Just love them. There’s something about the nice firm chew when you first bite into them that makes them addictively delicious. But I rarely make them, mostly because I get distracted by other, more exotic recipes. Also because my husband isn’t a huge fan and I’d end up eating the entire pan myself. (that was certainly the case with the leftover rice krispie treat towers from the birthday castle cake).
But when I found myself with a leftover bag of mini marshmallows and half a box of rice krispies that would never get eaten as breakfast, I knew that I’d be finding an excuse to make these delicious snacks soon. A gathering of friends provided the perfect occasion, and a newly-doctored jar of salted caramel sauce provided the inspiration for a delicious variation. I stirred a healthy dollop of caramel sauce into the melted marshmallow/butter mixture before mixing in the cereal, drizzled extra caramel on top of the finished treats, and topped it all off with a sprinkling of salt.
The result? Well, let’s just say that I was repeatedly called “evil” for having brought them to the party, and that the people saying so were doing it with full mouths.
Salted Caramel Rice Krispie Treats
3 tbs. butter
10-oz. package mini marshmallows
1/3 cup salted caramel sauce, plus a few tablespoons extra for drizzling
6 cups rice krispies
Generous pinch kosher salt
1. In a microwave-safe container, combine butter and marshmallows and microwave for 30 seconds on high.*
2. Stir thoroughly. Add caramel sauce and return to the microwave for 45 more seconds.
3. Stir again. If the marshmallows still aren’t completely smooth after a minute of stirring, microwave for another 30 seconds.
4. Pour marshmallow mixture over the rice krispies in a large bowl. Stir to combine.
5. Press into a 9×13″ pan lined with oiled parchment paper, using buttered hands.
6. Drizzle with additional caramel sauce and sprinkle with salt.
* If you prefer, you can do the melting in a large nonstick skillet before pouring over the rice krispies. Just put all of the ingredients into the pan and stir over medium heat until smooth.
- Since I wasn’t going for gourmet here, I used the doctored-up storebought caramel sauce I made here. It was clearly still artificial-tasting, but so are mini marshmallows, so no one seemed to care. You could use the good stuff too, but it seems like kind of a waste.
- These turn out a bit softer than standard rice krispie treats, likely due to the added caramel sauce. Feel free to microwave it a little longer to get the marshmallow goo to firm up more, or just omit half the butter.